After the success of the 2017 TurfNet BTME Education trip, we have embarked on another trip to the BIGGA conference in the UK. This time we have fourteen members (up from five last year) spending the week in Harrogate, Yorkshire, England. Many have said the chance to hear entirely new presentations and a different mix of speakers are their primary motivation to join us on the trip. The camaraderie both within and outside of TurfNet are added bonuses.
As with most TurfNet overseas trips, we like to allow at least one extra day on the front end before the important events take place to allow for adjustment to jet lag and any flight disruptions. This year we had everyone arrive at least two days early for some golf course visits and Beatles/sports fun around Liverpool.
A group of six on the trip added two additional days for a side trip to St. Andrews. In addition to spending time with St. Andrews Director of Links Gordon Moir, they were able to play the Old Course on Thursday.
Despite overnight flights and two sets of flight changes, the group headed to St. Andrews is all smiles. All played the Old Course on Thursday.
The schedule for the week in Harrogate includes four days of education (Sunday Wednesday) and three days of the trade show (Tuesday Thursday.) Participants receive BIGGA membership and a bundle of thirteen hours of education with the TurfNet trip package.
On Thursday well visit the STRI turfgrass research facility before flying home on Friday.
Trip participants this year include:
- Chuck Barber, St. Charles CC. St. Charles, IL
- Jason Kahlstorf, St. Charles CC, St. Charles, IL
- Drew Barnett, Knollwood Club, Lake Forest, IL
- Scott Bordner, Chicago GC, Wheaton, IL
- Alan Fitzgerald, LedgeRock GC, Mohnton, PA
- Todd Fyffe, Westmoreland CC, Wilmette, IL
- Tony Girardi, Rockrimmon CC, Stamford, CT
- Arron McCurdy Metedeconk Nat'l GC, Jackson, NJ
- Jason Meersman, Patterson Club, Fairfield, CT
- Brian Moore, Glen View Club, Golf, IL
- Brian Palmer, Shore Acres GC, Lake Bluff, IL
- Scott Pavalko, Bob OLink GC, Highland Park, IL
- Frank Tichenor, Forest Hill Field Club, Bloomfield, NJ
- Sean Tully, Meadow Club, Fairfax, CA
We are also pleased to have sponsors Brad Kautzer, new President/CEO of Foley United, and Bob Buckingham of Tru-Turf accompany us on portions of the trip.
Many thanks to Scott Bordner of Chicago Golf Club for his efforts in organizing the Chicago-area contingent on the trip.