Golf Course Superintendent
Lexington Golf & Country Club - Meticulously groomed and ingeniously laid out, Lexington Golf & Country Club unfolds over peaceful rolling hills nestled in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Central Virginia. Our visually stunning course offers a strategic challenge in a placid setting. Lexington features an 18-hole golf course known as the Jewel of the Valley, four tennis courts, a short game facility, a junior Olympic swimming pool, a restaurant, and a spacious banquet venue. Lexington has the distinct honor of being the second oldest club in the Commonwealth of Virginia.
The Golf Course Superintendent is responsible for directing the entire maintenance operation of the golf course and associated grounds including maintenance equipment, irrigation system, and facility maintenance.
Essential Job Functions:
- Supervises the entire operation of the maintenance center and facility complex including the operation of the equipment repair shop. Supervises the ordering of materials and supplies, and records daily maintenance activities.
- Hires, trains, schedules, and develops maintenance personnel including the assistant. superintendents, equipment technicians, equipment operators, and other grounds maintenance staff. Monitors the scheduling of all maintenance operations and directs the work of the staff team members within the department.
- Directs and implements the policies and procedures established by Landscapes Golf Management.
- Implements and oversees the golf course operations safety program. Develops and monitors all regulatory compliance programs including Hazardous Communication, GHS Safety Data Sheets, and all other associated rules and regulations.
- Develops programs and directs the application of fertilizers and plant-protecting pesticides. Monitors the record-keeping of the applications and adjusts programs as required. Obtains and upholds pesticide and/or fertilizer licenses.
- Ensures all Human Resources, payroll, administrative and reporting requirements set by the Company are completed timely and accurately.
- Gathers, processes and submits completed employee information and time records for payroll processing on time.
- Maintains membership in the GCSAA and other professional organizations, both state and local. Attends seminars, workshops, and conferences to stay abreast of current industry events and information.
- Develops and monitors the annual maintenance operating budget within the appropriate calendar. Monitors budget and takes corrective action to ensure financial goals are met.
- Develops the annual capital equipment and projects budgets.
- Provides appropriate information and makes recommendations to General Manager and Management Team about facility maintenance, construction, changes, materials, supplies, services, and equipment not provided for and approved within the business plan and/or budget.
- Monitors compliance with departmental purchasing policies and procedures.
- Manages all components of the irrigation system—supply, pump station, central and field controllers, piping and valves, and sprinkler heads.
- Complies with golf course etiquette rules.
- Must be well-mannered, display a smile at all times, greet guests, members, and fellow employees when encountered, show appreciation to the guests and the members, and demonstrate a willingness to help guests and members at all times.
- Possesses an understanding of the importance of safety and sees that safe operating procedure are observed in all daily activities. Administers the LGM Safety Program. 1
- Associate’s Degree in turf management, agronomy, horticulture, or another related field.
- 3 years experience as a Golf Course Superintendent including demonstrated experience and capability in the areas of budget development, fiscal management, strategic planning, and staff management.
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential job functions.
- Requires thorough working knowledge of the maintenance of golf course tees, fairways, and greens; the seeding and maintenance practices for golf course turf; the planting cultivating, pruning, and caring for plants, shrubs, and trees; the characteristics and proper use of various fertilizers and soil conditioners; herbicides and pest control methods and materials; drainage control methods; and irrigation systems, including wells, pumps, and automatic controls.
- Requires a high degree of administrative and management ability, especially in terms of problem-solving and decision-making; Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Requires knowledge of current federal, state, and local laws and regulations affecting the management of golf course operations.
- Ability to operate and maintain tools and machines associated with the upkeep of the golf course.
- Basic computer skills using a variety of computer software applications, including Word and Excel.
- Possesses an understanding of the game of golf. Requires at least three years experience in the Mid-Atlantic region transition zone
- Requires at least three years of experience in maintaining Ultra Dwarf Bermuda Greens, including when to apply protective covers in the winter.
- Requires a high level of golf course construction knowledge, including experience growing sod and sprigs.
- Requires a high degree of knowledge in maintaining Zoysia tees.
Please send all cover letters and resumes to:
Landscapes Golf Management
- Salary - Market Rate & Commensurate with Experience
- Incentive Plan
- Paid Association Dues
- Cell Phone Allowance
- Auto Allowance
- Golf Privileges
- 401K, Health, Vision, and Dental Benefits Available
Date Job is Available
$75,000 to $85,000 per year
Job Application Instructions
Please send all cover letters and resumes to Joe Goellner at JGoellner@Landscapesgolf.com