The starting pay range for this position begins at $16.75/hour but is based on the level of qualifications and relevant experience above the minimum requirements ($16.75 - $17.50/hr). Full Time: a position working 35+ hours per week.
This is a mid-level staff position with responsibilities for grounds and turf maintenance and appearance along with routine equipment operation and maintenance, . The Turf Specialist II will work as part of a crew establishing, mowing, maintaining and improving turf areas on the estate. Other grounds duties include but are not limited to snow and ice removal from pathways, roads and parking areas,, cleanup of storm debris, general trash and debris cleanup. In addition, staff will assist with special projects and events as required.
Schedule is typically 7am to 3:30pm but can vary.
Essential Job Duties:
1. Mow and trim turf areas using mowers with decks up to 15 feet width. Use of string and blade trimmer, backpack blowers edger, aerifier, hedge clippers, punning shears, shoves, rakes and other hand tools necessary for task completion.
2.Turf establishment and management including aerification, lime and fertilizer application, pesticide application and other standard turf maintenance practices.
3. Performs other basic grounds maintenance duties including but not limited to: general
cleanup, trash removal, weeding, sawing, hauling and handling brush.
4. Grading soils to ensure proper drainage and turf growth.
5. Complies with all safety procedures related to duties.
6. Assists guests in a positive, courteous manner.
7. Works in an efficient, productive manner.
8. Follows instructions, written or verbal
9. Applies pesticides or fertilizers with minimal supervision.
10. Works efficiently with minimal supervision.
Appraises turfgrass condition and makes suggestions for improvement in their area related to turf grass maintenance operations.
2. Application of pesticides for control of vegetation or other pests.
3. Attends and successfully completes a variety of training sessions related to job performance or as required.
4. Provide support and assistance for other departments.
5. Assists in training other employees when appropriate.
6. Safely operates chain saws for removing fallen trees, brush from landscapes
7. Assists other departments with holiday and other special events.
High school diploma. A two-year college degree and/or 2 years related on the job training. Industry acknowledged certifications and designations are preferred. B.S in Horticultural field preferred.
1. At least two (2) years of turf maintenance experience. The ideal candidate will have had prior turf maintenance experience in a public setting. An equivalent amount of related experience or education may be considered.
2. Knowledge of current turfgrass maintenance practices.
3. Ability to work effectively as part of a team as well as independently with little
4. Demonstrated commitment to providing world class guest service (internal and
5. Ability to exercise good judgment and be proactive; must be comfortable with and
able to take initiative as appropriate.
6. Ability to safely operate small equipment such as edgers ,mowers and specialized equipment such as lifts and tractors as needed.
7. Ability to become WPS certified within 10 days of hire.
8. Acquire a pesticide license within 6 months of hire.
9. Applicants must have a valid driver’s license and be at least 18 years of age.
Access to Biltmore's on-site health clinic, wellness programs, and health fairs for all employees free of charge
Comprehensive health, dental, and vision insurance for Full Time staff
Year-round access to the estate gardens and grounds and 40% off estate retail & dining
Free Biltmore tickets based on hours worked.
Paid sick/emergency leave (up to 56 hours annually), paid holidays (up to 80 hours annually) and paid vacation all available upon hire
And much more!
Date Job is Available
$16 to $18 per hour
808 views - Updated